Altar servers participate in and enhance the community’s celebration by assisting the priests during worship. Training sessions are held 1 – 2 times a year. We usually begin training servers in early sixth grade. Boys, girls and adults are welcome in this ministry.
Members work creatively to ensure that our worship is properly decorated to reflect the liturgical seasons. Membership is open to all, especially during the seasons of Advent, Christmas, Lent and Easter. Artistic abilities are helpful but not required.
Are parishioners who distribute Holy Communion to the congregation gathered at Mass. All confirmed Roman Catholics at least 16 years old are invited to serve. Ministers are asked to attend one two-hour training session, serve at two Masses monthly, and attend ongoing spiritual formation.
Commissioned Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion take Holy Communion on specific days to parishioners who are homebound, in nursing homes and in hospitals.
The gift of hospitality helps parishioners experience the welcome of Christ and prepares them to enter into the liturgy.
Lectors serve the parish community by proclaiming the Word of God through the Scripture readings at Sunday and weekday masses, and special liturgies for holy days, funerals, and weddings. Training is provided.
All adults and young adults are invited to share in this ministry. You will help keep the sanctuary, sacristy, vestments and church linens clean in preparation for the beautiful liturgies at Most Pure Heart of Mary. You may choose to work once a week, once a month or once a year. Your assistance is always needed and appreciated.
There are many ways to praise God with joyful song within our parish:
- MPHM Schola Cantorum: A music training program in the Cathedral tradition for the youth of the parish, forming our young people for the life long praise of God. The choristers sing for Sunday Masses and special feasts.
- MPHM Adult Choir: A choral music program for adults that sings for Sunday Masses and special feasts. The adult choir meets Thursday evenings for rehearsal and sight-singing training.
- Cantor: Vocalists who are trained to lead the congregation in song for Sunday Masses and special liturgies.
- Organ/Keyboard: Trained organists and pianists who work with choirs and cantors to lead the congregation in song for Sunday Masses and special liturgies.
- Folk Groups: Parish music groups that sing contemporary and classic music for Sunday Masses and special liturgies.
- Praise Ringers: Adult hand bell choir plays for special feasts. Meets Thursday evenings for rehearsals.
Ushers, like Greeters, welcome the community to worship, helping the community to enter into the liturgy. Ushers assist with seating, the collection of gifts, answering questions, and distributing bulletins.