VIRTUS AWARENESS SESSIONS
The Archdiocese of Kansas City is sponsoring community Education Awareness Sessions for the adult members of our parish. Protecting God's Children is intended to raise awareness of child sexual abuse. All adults who interact with children are required to attend. People who attend will come away with practical information about the warning signs of abuse, ways to prevent abuse, strategies for handling suspicions, and ways to respond.
How to report Sexual Abuse
Who is required to attend a session?
Priests, principals, teachers, administrators, all employees of the Archdiocese and volunteers who interact with children, religious education coordinators and volunteers, day care employees and volunteers, all coaches, youth ministers, library assistants, scout leaders, art image, cafeteria and playground volunteers, field trip drivers and chaperones, etc.
Protecting God's Children for Adults Session
Where: Mater Dei Assumption (Topeka)
204 SW 8th Avenue
When: Monday, April 22, 2013
Estimated length of session: 3 hrs
Spaces remaining: unlimited
Language: This session will be conducted in English
Notes: The session will be held in Rossiter Hall, basement of Mater Dei Assumption Church, 8th & Jackson.
Each individual person who is required or encouraged to attend an Awareness Session must individually pre-register online.
1. Go to http://www.virtusonline.com
2. On the left side of the page, click on the yellow link labeled “REGISTRATION”
3. Choose the name of your organization from the pull-down menu by clicking the downward arrow and
highlighting your organization. (Ours is Kansas City, KS Archdiocese) Once your organization is selected, click “Select.”
4. Create a user ID and a password you can easily remember. This is necessary for all participants. This establishes your account within your Diocese and the VIRTUS program. If your preferred user ID is already taken, please choose another ID. We recommend the use of E-mail addresses as user names. Click continue to proceed.
5. Provide the information requested on the following page. Several fields are required, such as name, address, phone number and e-mail address.
**If you do not have an E-mail address, consider obtaining a free E-mail account at mail.yahoo.com, or any other free service. This is necessary for your Virtus Coordinator to communicate with you. If you cannot obtain an Emil address, enter: no
. This will notify your VIRTUS Coordinator that you do not have an Emil address. Click continue to proceed.
6. Select the PRIMARY location where you work, volunteer or worship. You will be able to select additional locations later if you serve at multiple locations within your organization. Click continue to proceed.
7.Your current list of locations is displayed. If you need to add an additional location, choose YES. Otherwise, choose NO.
8. Select the role(s) that you serve within your organization. Please check all roles that apply. Additionally, if you have a title within your diocese, enter it in the box. I.e. Teacher, DRE, Catechist, etc. Click continue to proceed.
9. Answer three YES/NO questions and click Continue.
10. If you have already attended a Protecting God’s Children Session, click YES, otherwise click NO.
11. If you choose NO during the previous step, you will be presented with a list of all upcoming sessions within your organization. When you find the session you would like to attend, click the circle next to the title. If you chose YES, you will be presented with a list of all sessions that have been held within your organization. Choose the session you attended by clicking the downward arrow and highlighting the session, and then click Complete Registration.
12. You will see a message on your screen confirming that you have completed the registration process. If you correctly entered your Emil address during the process, you will receive an Emil confirming your information. Additionally, your Virtus Coordinator may contact you via e-mail with information regarding your continuing training status.
Babysitting is available upon request.
If you have additional questions about the registration process, please contact Coleen Coker @ 272-4313 or by e-mail -